Thursday, July 26, 2007

I cut my dog's hair today


smooching
Originally uploaded by stupidmommy
Here's Harriet with her "before" hair. Fluffy, wavy, luxurious, and totally matted from neglect on our part and don't-come-near-me-with-that -torture-device -brush insanity on hers.








Here's what I removed.


It started innocently enough. I was just going to get rid of the worst offenders--the dreadlocks around her neck and her mustn't-touch. But as I snipped, I realized there was no way to salvage the rest of her coat, which appeared to have years-old dead hair in it and underneath, the most horrible case of dandruff I've ever encountered. (And I've encountered some rough-looking heads in my day.) So I decided to give her a crew cut and start from scratch. Over time, and with multiple groomings (which I convinced myself she would tolerate since there would be so much less hair), I would be able to restore her coat to its former puppyish glory and also release the flakes from her skin. Did I mention that I'm a picker?

Here she is after her appointment, half her original size. I've already begun tackling the grooming, combing through tiny sections of fur, loosening dead hair and skin. Actually, um, I can't seem to stop myself. Now when Harriet sees me, she runs.

No comments: