Wednesday, June 13, 2007

wednesday night book club

I've been working on a children's book for a little while and finally felt ready to field test it on my boys tonight. I got them settled in their beds and read to them, gesturing here and there and acting out certain parts because there are no illustrations. They were quiet for the entire ten minutes it took me to read the story. Damn, I thought to myself. This must really be good, just as I suspected.

Then this.

Levi: "That was boring. Now I want some water."
Ezra (looking up at the ceiling): "Now can we read a real book?"

Their constructive comments and insights really got me thinking about ways to improve the story. I can't wait to roll up my sleeves and get back to it.

They have so lost the dedication if this book ever makes it to print.

No comments: