Friday, January 4, 2008

my three scapegoats

I bitch a lot--inside my head and outside, too--about how my kids take up so much of my time and energy that it's simply not possible to do the things I really want to be doing--like working on that novel I started almost three years ago and abandoned when I was in my third trimester with Lilah, like getting my freelance writing career up and running again, like really going for it with the photography.

It's quite handy having them around. The truth is, even if my kids were easy, even if they were older and way more self-sufficient, even if I were not chronically sleep-deprived (six years and counting) because of their various nighttime traumas, even if I didn't have any kids at all, I don't think I'd have the motivation or courage to do any of those things anyway.

So: Sorry, kids. It's really not your fault. But you're Jewish and genetically predisposed to being scapegoated anyway. It's in your blood. If anyone can handle it, you can.

2 comments:

CincyNat said...

I don't want to "blame" your kids either, but I think you would have that motivation (and energy!) if you weren't a mom. You've already published one book for pete's sake! But being a mom has its own rewards, right? Maybe your friend's visit will motivate you...anyway, you're way ahead of me. My kids are older and somewhat self sufficient and the most I manage to do is sit on my ever widening ass reading the (albeit clever) musings of other people. So! There's that! (insert winky icon HERE) Oh, and 'My Three Scapegoats' is a great title for a sit-com.

Lorena Wood said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.