Tuesday, December 4, 2007

if a blog entry gets posted in the forest, and no one is reading...

Helllllooooo? Anyone there? November was this magical month in which I saw my daily readership explode into some serious double-digit action. And now that NaBloPoMo is only a cute but nonetheless hard to pronounce name for something that might as well have happened millenia ago, my readership has returned to its regular embarrassment of numbers. Of course, blogging isn't only about attracting more readers. But it's mostly about that.

I guess I wouldn't be taking it so hard if I felt like there was at least one domain in my life where I had some degree of control. But not only can I not boost my readership, I can't seem to get my kids to behave, I can't make Stupid Daddy pass his very important exam, I can't make all those thousands of lost emails reappear in my mail program after last week's unfortunate accident, I can't get my career up and running again. Christ, I can't even get the IRS to help me out with a simple question. No, instead I'm passed along to four different people, half of whom keep cutting me off and keep insisting that they can't help out before I'm able to even articulate the question, and the last of whom literally hangs up on me. And then I throw the phone across the room, but, in contrast to previous throws with previous phones, may they rest in peace, it doesn't break this time. See? I can't even make that happen. No control over a fucking thing.

I'm seriously considering becoming anorexic.

13 comments:

Melissa said...

I am here! New reader, stumbled upon you a week or so ago and here faithfully every day!

Unknown said...

Me too! And I'm totally more faithful than Melissa. Just kidding, Melissa. You have the magical ability to deprive me of a morning treat when you've not been able to put a new post together.

sweetisu said...

I'm kinda in the background there.. if you hear rustling, that's me packing stuff up..

Hope tomorrow will be a better day for you.

Lauren said...

I am still here too. I actually didn't find you through Nomablo or whatever it is called, but from Family of Five, that I found through Ruby Soho etc etc and I check at least once a day too!

Now I feel bad that I didn't comment on your post about your daughter I read yesterday. I didn't because:

A. you posed some parenting dilemmas that I have faced and have absolutely no wisdom to share except maybe try booze.

B. I thought if I comment too much I might look like a stalker.

Seriously your blog rocks.

Unknown said...

Im here! at the risk of not sounding like some creepy person who peers in on you, I check your blog all the time. I found you tru Flickr and from the very first time when I read about your experience at the gym of having to use the bathroom, I was hooked to reading what you write. I laugh I think seriously every single time I read...so keep it all coming, the good the bad and the ugly!

dkuroiwa said...

I have also been a bit of a lurker...found you through Paida (see above)...and I second her idea of "booze"~~works for me!!
I love your blog...it's nice to know that I am not the only mother "out here" going through just total shit somedays!!!
It's amazing where we find our 'support' these days...thanks for being a part of mine!! (and I'll try to comment more!!)
Debbie...a reader in Japan

Elizabeth Coplan said...

I'm reading your Blog. I love it! Would you consider entering our contest on A Wild Ride?

Here are the guidelines: http://www.awildride.net/index11.htm

Cheers, Elizabeth

Stacy said...

oh honey, you break phones, too? we ARE twins!

Tiny Tin Bird said...

Now I look like the rest of them, but I'm here too. I'm the TDS Telecom from Madison, WI on your statcounter stats. Now you know how often I'm here. It's shameful.

Stupiddaddy said...

When we renovated we were undecided about getting carpeting in the bedrooms and office (we have really been wood floor snobs forever), but when I heard the dull thud of plastic on carpet, as opposed the sharp crack of plastic shattering, I was really happy about the carpet.

Deb Abramson said...

Aw, shucks. Thanks, you guys.

CincyNat said...

Also here! A day late and a dollar short, as usual, but here! Discovered you recently and find you very funny. Oh, and I also had a shitty day so, you know, SOLIDARITY!

Just Me said...

Also here. A bit late, because I only get to read you during occasional lunch breaks at work when I have a moment. I have to say though, that the worst part about reading your blog is the difficulty of stifling laughter when I am supposed to be hard at work.